top of page
Regency Georgian terraced town houses in London

Helping you to understand the Party Wall etc. Act 1996

If your building work may have an impact on your neighbours, it's important to know where you stand before you begin. DMC Consulting Engineers can offer expert advice to homeowners across London.

Helping you to understand the Party Wall etc. Act 1996

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 was put in place to give a clear process to people looking to carry out building work on a shared boundary. Although it may seem complex, DMC Consulting Engineers will work with you and your neighbours to find a solution everyone is happy with.


We've been working to help people across London negotiate party wall matters since 1985 and would love to work with you too.

a shared property boundary.jpg

What sort of work do I need to inform my neighbours about?

You must inform your neighbours if you intend to:

  • Carry out any building work at the boundary of your two properties

  • Dig below and or/near to the foundation level of their property

  • Carry out building work to an existing party wall or party structure

Notice needs to be given two months before any work on your party wall however, your neighbour may agree for the work to start sooner if required. In most cases neighbours will agree to any necessary work required however, if they disagree, or do not respond to your notice, a set process can be put in place to ensure you'll be able to carry out any changes that are within the law. 

How can DMC Consulting Engineers help with party wall matters?

DMC Consulting Engineers have extensive experience in preparing documents and liaising with neighbours and surveyors regarding any building work that might impact on the condition of the building of the adjoining owner.

Our team can serve notices, receive acknowledgements, prepare Schedules of Condition and Party Wall awards all in compliance with the 1996 Party Wall etc Act. As you may be unsure of your rights and responsibilities, we're able to advise whether or not your proposed building work falls within the meaning of the Act. We can often advise on the change in building design that can avoid the sometimes costly and time-consuming process in party wall matters.

London street of typical small 19th century Victorian terraced houses.jpg
For expert advice on party wall matters call DMC Consulting Engineers now on 020 7275 8185

You can also send us an email using the form below and we'll call you back.

Thanks for submitting!
bottom of page